View of the operating position
The Lizard Wireless Station was set up by the Marconi Company at the end of 1900 to supply a ship-shore radio service with ships passing Lizard Point. It also served as a research centre and a monitoring station for the trans Atlantic Poldhu Wireless station at Poldhu Cove, Mullion. The museum is housed in the refurbished original buildings, the interior being, as far as possible, a true facsimile of the station at the start of the 20th century.
The establishment of the museum, which is run by the National Trust volunteers. It is open on various days and at various times throughout the year see the opening times page. Opening depends on the weather and staff availability. The equipment is demonstrated to visitors and the volunteers are delighted to give a history of the station. As well as a museum, it is also an amateur radio station where visiting licensed amateurs may operate for a small charge.
Close up of the spark transmitter
Guglielmo Marconi (Grandson) during his visit to the Wireless station on December 12th 2001